Monday, January 21, 2013

Twirling






"That you in the photograph? What are you doing?"
"Twirling.
My mother and I used to twirl."

I loved this line in the movie "You've got Mail". 

One of my earliest memories as a child is dancing and twirling to “Waltz of the Flowers” from the Nutcracker. I hadn't even seen the Nutcracker, but I knew the melody was meant to dance to. 

What is it about twirling that is so enticing? I suppose it is the same feeling one gets when they imagine they can fly. It is the feeling of FREEDOM!

Are we, as very young children, already feeling the restraints of an earthly form? Did we at one time, before we were born, have the freedom of angels unbound by earthly burdens to soar, and dance around the universe?

Another thing about twirling is that it also evoked giggling. You could NOT twirl and NOT giggle. This was true, especially if you were twirling with friends, sisters or cousins. For me, it was usually it was the latter two. They were my first friends in life.

It is a shame, that as adults we most often stop twirling. I have made a promise to myself to twirl and even giggle more often. I don’t think it’s too late. I hope that it isn't.

I imagine in heaven it will be my most favorite thing to do. That and dancing, and singing, and…well. They’ll all be favorites there won’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment